music box


Friday, December 5, 2008

How To Calculate?

I have Satria Neo 1.6 and Myvi 1.3. The tyre and wheel/rim sizes for both cars are standard 195/50R/16 and 175/65R/14 respectively. I like to change to wider and bigger rims (to improve stability and aestheticism) for both cars, and I have read about the 3% rule. How can I calculate myself in order not to exceed the 3% rule? Is there any reputable website that offers such calculation? What are the tyre and rim choices for my cars if I want to change to wider and bigger rims?

Reply:
You will see among this week's replies the formula calculating the overall diameter of a wheel assembly and from there, you should be able to work out the best combination for your vehicles.
Please remember that the 3% rule is only as far as overall diameter, and you must consider you have sufficient space under the wheel arches, and the wheel offsets will remain the same because once the wheel offsets change, your handling will also change. Lastly, bigger wheel means more unsprung weight, which may affect your suspension set-up. Also, big fat tyres may give you very good grip in dry weather but could be difficult to drive in the wet, as they would hydroplane much easier.

No comments: