music box


Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turning Ignition Key Too Fast

1. When i turned ignition key of my Avanza Auto, my car did not start. I turned the key again and this time it started. There was a loud noise caused by the starter. I think I turned the key too fast. Will my action spoil the car?

2. I always drive during traffic jams. If I adjust the two nuts that fasten the acceleration cable so that the idling speed becomes lower, can I save petrol?

Reply:
1. I am not too sure of what you have described, but it appears that the starter is not properly engaging the ring gear, causing what is known as "gear crash". If this continues to happen, you should take the car to the franchise holders and get it checked, as there will definitely be excessive wear on the gears if it continues.

2. Adjusting the throttle cable will only give more free play on the throttle and not have anything to do with fuel consumption. If the fuel consumption seems to be too high, get the engine checked and give it a tune-up as the tuning may be out or there may be some other problem causing the high consumption.

No comments: